Service at Ringwood UK
story by Helen Playford
The parish church of St Peter and St Paul was built in 1835 and in the market town of Ringwood in the New Forest of England. In the grounds is a oak tree planted 21 years ago, and under the oak tree is a plaque of rememberance for the Normandy Veterans. The New Forest Normandy Veterans and their wives, (who did not go to Normandy) gathered together in a rather chilly morning to remember all those who did not return. Bill Price arranged the wreath, George Heaton and Ernest Stack read the service while Norman Egerton laid the wreath.
Two verses from Laurence Binyon's peom 'For the Fallen' first published in September 1914 was read, followed by a prayer.
They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end aginst odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we who are left to grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
In the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
VIEW SLIDE SHOW
|Back to top